Wednesday, October 31, 2012

And So It Begins... NaNoWriMo 2012

I'm starting NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) tomorrow and I'm very excited about it. Last time I started NaNoWriMo, the month ended with a great start on After Life Inc. and one year later it is published and available for real people to buy with real money; something I never thought I'd achieve.

My goals for this time around are to reach the 50,000 word goal, if not surpass it, keep a log on here of my progress, polish it as I'm going, and have fun with with the process.

If I do 2,000 words a day that would give me 60,000 words. And that, would be a dream come true. I'm still only shooting for 50,000 because that is aggressive enough for my tastes, but 60,000 would definitely ensure a post-NaNoWriMo party in my name take place. 

I made many mistakes the first time around, such as sending out my sample chapters, queries, and various nonsense to friends, agents, and publishers way too soon. I should have perfected them more, polished my writing up, and given it more time to turn into something readable. I was just so excited and wanted to get my name out there, and it ended up costing me dearly, as no agents or publishers wanted to touch After Life, Inc. with a ten foot pole. 

Now, however, I have self published a novel and word has begun to spread. People seem to be enjoying After Life, Inc. and if they are enjoying it, that means they might give something else I write a chance, right? 

This one will be different. I'm going to type it out in MS Word instead of long handing it. I also have a nicer lap top this time around, so that will do nothing but make it easier, right? Right. This is where you nod along and agree with everything I say to reassure the nervous wreck.

I will also be trying to update this blog every day. If not every day, at least three times a week. I want to keep a log of my progress. The trials and tribulations of writing a novel in 30 days. The wonderful experience of writer's block that will undoubtedly rear it's ugly head mid week three. I want documentation. I want to share this experience with the world. I want other people to read this and think that they can do it too, since I am no better off than anyone else out there. 

It is not easy, and it takes a lot of dedication. It takes saying "no" to social gatherings, fueling with unlimited supplies of caffeine, and sometimes wrapping up your wrist in an ace bandage if you suffer from tendinitis like I do. 

In the end, it should be fun. It should be an experience, and I'm glad to have this platform to share it with those who want to hear about it. 

As I type this there are nine hours of prep time remaining. 

It's clobberin' time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment